Checklist for citizens from "Third Countries"
This checklist gives an overview of the formalities for nationals from "Third Countries", who have accepted employment at UC.
Before arrival in Denmark:
1) Check whether you need a visa to enter Denmark, at the homepage of the Danish Immigration Service.
2) Contact the Danish Embassy/Consulate in your home country or country of residence, to check the latest changes in the application procedures for visa/residence and work permits. Find Danish Embassy
3) Ask your institute to provide you with a application form AR1 (part 1 + 2). This special form is designed to offer foreign researchers, who are employed by a Danish university, a fast track application procedure for a residence and work permit. Part 2 of the form is to be filled in and signed by the university, part 1 by the applicant.
4) Apply for a visa/residence and work permit at the Danish Embassy as soon as possible after you have received the AR1 application form from your institute/Personnel Department.
5) Note that you are not allowed to start your employment before a residence and work permit is granted by the Danish Immigration Service.
After your arrival in Denmark:
1) Within 5 days after your arrival in Denmark, you must register with the local office of the Danish National Register ("Folkeregister") in the town of your residence, and show your residence and work permit.
2) Once registered, you will within a few weeks receive a personal registration number (CPR.-number) and a National Health certificate ("sygesikringsbevis") in the mail.
3) Apply for a tax card at your local "Skattecenter" unless you qualify for the special taxation scheme for researchers recruited abroad.
4) If you would like to opt for "researcher taxation":
- check the conditions
- downlaod the application form (word.doc)
- fill in the form and let the head of your institute approve and sign
- send the duly signed form to the Personnel Department (P&J)
5) Open a Danish bank account as soon as you have received your CPR/registration number, and request your bank to register this account as a "NemKonto".
6) Please inform/send the Personnel Department (P&J) the following:
- your Danish private address
- your Danish cpr number or taxation registration number
- your Danish tax card or the duly signed 25 % taxation application form
- your Danish bank account (NemKonto)