FAQ – University of Copenhagen

Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

CPR, NemID, NemKonto and E-boks

CPR number

All citizens in Denmark are registered in the Civil Registration System (CPR) with a CPR number. The CPR number is a unique number, giving you access to health care, to open a bank account, receive salary and many other things in Denmark. It is crucial to get the CPR number in order to proceed with most things, when you've arrived. Please refer to our checklists to see what steps you need to take and in what order.

You need to upload all information for the application for your CPR number online. You will need the following documents:

  • A working contract
  • Proof of a legal address in Denmark 
  • Copy of your passport
  • EU Certificate or residence and work permit if you are a non EU/EFA citizen
  • Copy of marriage and birth certificates for your children (if applicable) 

Once you have uploaded the information, your application will be processed by the Municipality and once it’s been processed, you will receive and email saying that you can book an appointment online to collect your CPR number. This takes place at the International Citizen Service in the centre of Copenhagen.

Read more about what to bring and how to get your CPR number.

NemID and self service

NemID is a common online login solution for all public authorities in Denmark. NemID is set up in the local citizen service or at the bank with your CPR number and a unique set of passwords. You must have received the yellow health card, before you can order the NemID. You order it from either your bank or the local citizen service (please note that you need a witness with a NemID, if you order the NemID from your citizen service).

You can use NemID to access online self service for public authorities, for example the Danish Tax Authorities and health care, access your payslip and online banking as well as a number of private websites.

NemKonto and payment of salary

All citizens registered in Denmark are required to have a NemKonto (Easy Account). A NemKonto is a normal bank account that you assign as your NemKonto. Your salary will be transferred to your Nemkonto by the end of each month.

E-boks and digital pay slips

Salary statements are delivered as digital payslips. In order to get access to your payslips, you need to open an E-boks. Everyone in Denmark has an online mailbox, which is called your E-boks. Here you receive most letters from public authorities.

Payslips are only issued in Danish, but the university has published a brochure with explanations of your payslip:

Holidays, leave and absences


All employees at the University of Copenhagen are entitled to six weeks of holidays per year. These holidays come on top of public holidays in Denmark. Foreign researchers can choose between two holiday schemes. On both schemes, you earn 2,08 paid holidays each month. You always have the right to holiday, but how the paid holiday is accumulated, differs between the two schemes.

Ordinary holiday scheme

On this scheme, the total earned paid holiday from one year’s employment is accumulated to be spend the following year. In other words, you earn paid holiday in one qualification year (calendar year) to spend the following holiday year. The holiday year runs from 1 May – 30 April. It means that during the first year’s employment on the ordinary holiday scheme, your holiday is unpaid.

Concurrent holiday scheme

As an international researcher you can choose the concurrent holiday scheme, where you earn 2,08 paid holidays each month, which you can spend already the following month. It is similar to most holiday systems outside Denmark. There are a few eligibility criteria:

  • Non-Danish citizenship
  • Employed in a research position (both fixed-termed and permanent positions)
  • Not already on the normal holiday scheme
  • Maximum 5 years on this scheme

Maternity/Paternity leave

Denmark is generally known for beneficial solutions for maternity and paternity leave. Each case depends on both the mother’s and the father’s employment conditions. In general, the mother can take up to 32 weeks paid leave and the father can take up to 15 weeks paid leave.

Childcare days
As a parent you are entitled to two child care days per child per calendar year until and including the year of the child’s 7th birthday.

Absence due to illness

In general, when employed at the university you will be entitled to be paid during illness. However, the university can ask you to document your illness if it would be frequent/long-term.

Child's sickness
As an employee in the state sector you have the right to paid leave on the first two days of your child’s sickness, if the child is under the age of 18 and lives at home.


Public transport

Public transport is quite extensive in Denmark and generally functions well. The public transport system in the Copenhagen area is covered by a one-ticket system valid for the Metro, S-train and buses. The electronic ticket card, Rejsekortet, is the cheapest way to pay for public transport, and has to be ordered online.

Motor vehicles

If you bring a vehicle to Denmark, the vehicle must be registered with Danish license plates and you must pay a registration tax. You must also take out liability insurance before you can register a motor vehicle in Denmark.

Driver's Licence
If your driving licence has been issued in an EU country or in Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you will not need to exchange it for a Danish driving license. Driving licences issued by other countries than those mentioned above must be exchanged for a Danish driving licence at the local municipal citizen service centre.


Bringing your pet

If you wish to bring your pet with you to Denmark, you must contact your local veterinarian in your country of residence prior to your departure to ensure that all requirements for exporting your pet are met.