International Guest Researchers and Visiting Scholars

Welcome to the University of Copenhagen!

We are pleased to welcome you to the University and are pleased that you will be doing your research here. For a general introduction, you can read more about the University on our website:

















If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen you have the right to work and stay in Denmark for up to three months without notifying the authorities.

Should your stay last longer, you must apply for an EU registration certificate on the basis of your own means with the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration. Please note that if you are bringing your family, they must apply as well. Please contact ISM if you are in doubt.



If you are a citizen from outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland and you are planning to stay in Denmark for less than three months, you do not need a work permit to pursue your research in the country.

If you are citizen of a country without visa requirement to Schengen, you can freely travel to Denmark. However, if you are from a country with a visa requirement to the Schengen area, you will need to apply for a visa in order to enter Denmark. If you are in doubt please contact your host Department.

Important notice: You can only register as a resident in Denmark, obtain a Danish social security number (CPR) and be covered by the Danish public health care system if your stay in Denmark exceeds three months. Read more under Health Insurance and social security. 



If you expect to stay longer than three months in Denmark, ISM will initiate an application process for a residence and work permit covering the entire period you are in the country. Depending on your situation, there are two available schemes:

  1. Guest researcher: you need to have obtained a Master’s degree (or equivalent) to qualify for this permit. The purpose of your stay must be to carry out research at the University of Copenhagen. It can be granted for up to three years.
  2. Guest PhD student: You must be enrolled in a PhD programme outside of the University of Copenhagen to qualify for this permit. It can be granted for up to two years.

Both permits require documentation proving that you can support yourself financially during your stay.

If you wish to bring your family to Denmark, you will have to apply for a residence permit for them as well.

Please be aware that:

  • As soon as you are contacted by ISM, you must act promptly as processing times can be up to two months. However, we cannot start the application process earlier than three months before your planned start date.
  • You will have to pay some fees in connection with the application and you will need to record your biometric features at the most convenient Danish diplomatic mission or foreign diplomatic mission with which Denmark has a representation agreement.
  • All documentation must be in English.