Buying a house or apartment

If you decide to buy a house, the approach depends on whether you are an EU/EEA citizen or a citizen of other countries. One rule applies in both situations: The property must serve as a necessary all-year residence for the buyer.

EU/EEA citizens are allowed to acquire an all-year residence in Denmark without obtaining permission from the Danish Ministry of Justice. All they need to do is make a declaration to the Land Registration Court.

Citizens from other countries than EU/EEA Member States must obtain permission from the Danish Ministry of Justice before buying accommodation in Denmark. The process for applying for permission is described at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark's website.