Cross border commuters – University of Copenhagen

Cross border commuters

If you live in another country (for example Sweden or Germany) and work in Denmark, you are considered a cross border commuter. Whether you are eligible to work in Denmark right away, depens on your citizenship, please see below. 

You will have to apply for a tax number instead of a CPR number, as well as a special health card. Please read more on

EU/EEA and Nordic citizens

You can begin working at the University of Copenhagen, but need to apply for a tax card number before you can get paid.

Non EU/EEA citizens

If you are a non EU/EFA citizen, you will have to apply for a work permit to the University of Copenhagen before employment can commence. The University of Copenhagen will initiate the application process and inform you of the procedure and necessary steps. Afterwards, you can apply for the tax number.