Non EU/EEA citizens

Short-term stay (less than 3 months)

Whether you are employed as a researcher or only visiting the University of Copenhagen as a guest researcher (unpaid researcher without an employment contract), you can work without a residence and work permit if the stay does not exceed 90 days within 180 days.

Depending on your citizenship, you might need a short-term visa to enter Denmark. Please check the New-to-Denmark website on short-term visa.

Please note: If your stay in Denmark is less than three months, you will not be able to register as a resident in Denmark (and get a CPR number) and you will not be covered by the Danish health insurance. Please read more about the Danish CPR number.

Long-term stay (more than 3 months)

If you plan to stay longer than three months, you must have a residence and work permit in order to reside and work in Denmark.

The University of Copenhagen will initiate the application process for your residence and work permit and inform you on how to proceed. Please contact International Staff Mobility (ISM) if you have any questions.